Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Dictating Morality...

The media is making a big stink over the fact that Gen. Peter Pace, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that it was his personal opinion that homosexuality is immoral and that the U.S. military should not allow gays to openly serve in the military because it would be like condoning immorality. He likened this position to the military's policy of not allowing soldiers to sleep with other soldier's wives a.k.a. adultery.

Now, Pace is a U.S. citizen just like you and me, and he's entitled under the Constitution of the United States to express his views...as long as he is doing so under the pretext of "this is my personal opinion" and not under the heading, "The U.S. military stance toward homosexuality is that it is immoral". He has the right to say that, folks. Just like I have a right to say that he is wrong.

Where he may have stepped over the line is when he declared that he doesn't think the U.S. military should allow openly gay men and women to serve because it would equate to them condoning immorality. That's where he crossed into the red zone.

It's not the place of the U.S. military or any public institution, be it Congress, the President, or any government official to say what is moral and what is not. Maybe it's just the Libertarian in me, but we are a very diverse country, and just because the General's up-bringing has led him to the conclusion that homosexuality is wrong and somehow less moral than heterosexuality, doesn't mean we all feel that way or that the government has a place in telling anyone what is right or what is wrong.

Let me be clear....I'm as straight as straight can be. But, I have many gay friends, several of whom are some of the most moral people I know. I can't speak to the pro's and con's of a soldier "outing" himself or herself as gay to their fellow soldiers, as I have no experience serving in the military. Personally, I would think that it should be a matter of personal choice based upon how comfortable that soldier is with the others in his unit or platoon, and I would defer to those with actual experience to decide whether "Don't ask, Don't tell" is working. (Logic hints that it is, because this is the first I've heard on the subject of gays and the military in years), but again, I just don't have the background to really comment.




What I can say is that if a young man or woman has the courage to voluntarily serve in our military, regardless of sexual orientation, race, creed, religion or any other factor, we should encourage and support them. They are certainly more "man" than I am.

Cheers!

No comments: