Sunday, March 11, 2007

Going Veg

I'm going Veg!!!! Holy crap, that's something I never thought I'd say. I am a freakin' vegetarian. This is coming from possibly the biggest meat-eater on the planet. I love meat. Steak, juicy red bloody steak! It's great!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meat...it does a body good!



Yummy, Yummy in my Tummy!!!


But seriously, I started looking around on the internet at some PETA videos. I'm not really sure how I came across them, but the first one I watched was on animal testing. That is, it was showing you what happens when companies such as Proctor & Gamble, Unilever and others test their products on animals to determine if they're safe for humans. I was appalled!! Do you know that they actually squirt shampoo and toothpaste into rabbits' eyes until it burns them out and the rabbits go blind??? I had no clue. I mean, you read on the back of lotion bottles "This product not tested on animals", and you think...oh, that's good. But, that implies that some products are/were tested on animals, and I guess my brain never really went that far. Now, I'm not saying that ALL animal testing is bad. Let's face it, most of the advances of modern medicine that save human lives on a daily basis have come about because of animal testing. But, the idea that an animal has to suffer so that I can wash my hair or brush my teeth or not have armpits that smell like raccoon ass...well, that's just unacceptable. There are plenty of alternative products that are cruelty-free. You just have to know where to look.


Sorry, Mr. Bunny Rabbit. We suck!!

You can click here to watch the PETA video on animal testing. You can also visit caringconsumer.org to learn more about buying products for your home that are not tested on animals a.k.a. cruelty-free products. You'd be surprised at some of the stuff you buy every day that is tested on little rabbits and dogs and monkeys. If that shit doesn't get you to thinking, then you're just heartless.

But, I digress. That's not the reason I'm going Veg. THIS IS THE REASON I've decided to become a vegetarian. Just watch that sucker. It's a video on the meat industry narrated by the #1 PimpDaddy, himself, Alec Baldwin. Again...had no idea this kind of shit was happening. And, the thing is, I love meat. I've been off meat now for about 3 weeks, and every time I find myself craving a Whopper (with cheese, mayo and ketchup only...thanks!), I just watch that video, and the craving just magically melts away. It's actually been really, really easy to give up meat. There are tons of veggie-based meat substitutes. Let's see...there's veggie hot dogs, veggie corndogs (these rock the hizouse!), veggie chicken nuggets (hold the chicken). And, if I gave you any one of these faux meat treats and didn't tell you they were veggie, you'd never know the difference. Again, this comes from a man with a highly evolved and very discriminating meat palette. So, take my word for it...the shit is good.

Now, I'm not gonna get all righteous and go around demanding that others immediately and unequivocally denounce their acceptance of animal flesh as a delicacy...hell, I cringe at the thought of being labelled a "PETA person". But, the fact remains that animal cruelty is just not right, and I'm just trying to do what I can. I read somewhere that for each person that stops eating meat, 100 animals are saved yearly. That's a hell of a lot of suffering that can be spared, and damnit I'm gonna do my part!


I'll spare you the fur video today...that's the worst one of all. But, in case you're curious, go to YouTube and do a search for J. Lo and Fur Ho and see what comes up!

Peace out, bitches!
Jeff

No comments: